Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cat 3 Racing is the Toughest

That's right, racing as a Cat 3 - or in my case, dominating as a Cat 3 - is the hardest thing to do in all of bicycle racing.

A quick lesson for the non-cyclist on Racing Categories. When you begin racing, you start out as a weak little Category 5, or Cat 5. I prefer calling it the Crash 5's. You wouldn't believe the amount of 'squirrily birds' they have in those groups. Once you do ten races, you can move up to a Category 4. Unless you are a Nancy-ass sandbagger, then you stay as a Cat 5. Why would you do this??? I guess some people like gay medals to hang on their walls.

So Cat 4's is a step up from the Cat 5's, but this does not mean a thing. All it means is the person likes to race, not that they are any good at it. Anybody can be a Cat 4, or Cat 5.

To become a Cat 3 - hereafter referred to as 'the Ultimate Cat' - you must earn points from the races you compete in. You must have 20 points in a 12 month span in order to accomplish this. The only point value I know is for first place, because that was where you could always find me.

So you get you 20 points and have shown you have some talent, so now you're in 'the Ulitmate Cat'.

Now that the briefing for the uneducated is finished, I can discuss why Cat 3 racing is the toughest...

First off, the bike handling of most Cat 3's has not improved since the time they were a Cat 5. At the same time, leg strength and power has generally increased among these same people which means everyone goes faster. That, combined no bike handling skills, results in carnage waiting to happen

Or picture it like this: You go out on St. Patty's day, consume massive amounts of Irish Car Bombs so you've lost all control over your body and it's functions. You then have a choice of hopping into a souped up Corvette capable of 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, or throwing your leg over a 1946 Vespa that lacks the horsepower the get you over that big neighborhood speed bump.

In the Corvette, you're lucky to make it out of there alive. You wake up the next morning and are just counting your blessing that you made it home in one piece. You know you escaped a wreck that could have cost you your life. This is like Cat 3 racing.

On the mighty Vespa, you're just lucky if you make it home before daylight due to the slow speeds that you putter along at. You know full well that the only damage that's going to be caused in a wreck might be a little skin off the body. This is Cat 5 racing.

It is for this reason that during Cat 3 races I just stay off the front, constantly attacking my opponents to wear down their legs. I slowly turn those 09 Corvette legs into the wet noodle that is the 46 Vespa. By the time the bell lap rings I have turned what was once the Ulitmate Cat into nothing more than a bunch of spandex-wearing sissy-boys.

As far as Cat 1's and 2's are concerned, their bike handling does not allow for the difficulty that is involved in Cat 3 racing, thus making Cat 3's - the Ulitmate Cat.

Well that is all for now, I'm off to get my bike fit perfectly to my body. I feel as though my seat is 1 nanometer too low, thus impeding my ability to maximze my already superiour power on a bike. Have a good one!

9 comments:

Shaver said...

Were you ever a Squirrely Bird?

Cat3Phenom said...

Only when I'm producing over 1000 watts...

superdex said...

so basically you're a sandbagger too chickensh*t to upgrade. snort.

Cat3Phenom said...

superdex, or shall i refer to you as Superpussy?

I'm not quite sure how someone could be a sandbagger in the Ultimate Cat. I actually think that might be an oxymoron, with extra emphasis on the Moron in your case.

If you had ever raced in a Category about Cat 5 you would have already known this.

My guess is that you live vicariously through Tom Boonen. This would explain the 'snort' that you left at the end of your comment.

Post your race resume and I might take your commment more seriously.

Pinger said...

being a triathlete, I have a different take on what kind of racing is the toughest, but I am not actually chiming in to discuss that...

what I am chiming in to say is that you come off sounding like an arrogant douchebag.

I'd like to expend 1000 watts by picking up your bike and beating you to death with it.

Unknown said...

I agree with pinger. You truly sound like a total ass hat. No matter how good of racer you are most everthing you talk about is discredited due to the pompus arrogancy you speak with. I race large events and also have many local sponsers. Also participate in a good deal of local charity events. Your attitude will get you nowhere in this society or sport... most here would never speak to fellow cyclists in your manner. By the way Im sure I would drop you like two cent hooker gets dropped off at the corner.... Adios douche bag.

JP MD said...

so is there anything you can do that actually matters in life?

Unknown said...

What a d***

Unknown said...

Wow dude, you seem so cool. Can we meet IRL and talk about bikes?