Thursday, April 3, 2008

Strong ride

Well, just got done with my ride and I must say it was a good one. I like to keep things interesting by watching cycling while I ride the trainer. I also make sure I get dressed up in my full team kit, which includes helmet, sunglasses, and gloves.


I'm not sure if everyone does this same thing, but I strongly believe in the moto: "You have to practice the same way you do as when you compete." (or something like that)


I know when I'm in a race, I have to wear my helmet, sunglasses, and full team kit...so that is what I do when I'm on the trainer as well. I even apply sunscreen so that I can get used to the burning sensation I get in my eyes when the sweat and sunscreen gets in them...I really think this is starting to pay off.


Today, my eyes only burned for the first couple minutes after the sweat got in them. This is compared over five minutes when I first starting working on this. It was so bad the first time that I had to use a towel to wipe my eyes out. (This is not something I could do if I were in a race.)


(Rubber Ducky was what I started out with. Even though it was for children it still burned)

(my second step up, once I started tolerating the children's)
(Here's a pic of the sunscreen that I have now moved up to)

The whole purpose for this is to make sure I'm used to it when I'm racing. I think in a few more weeks I will be immune to what I like to call 'burning sunscreen eyeball.' I'm really hoping this little things that I'm doing that others don't are going to pay off in the long run.

Anyway, on to my quick ride report...

I won't bore you with the details, but my legs felt really strong. At the end of each one of my power intervals, I sprinted for 20 seconds all-out. During this I had my friend push on my arms and bump up against me so that I am used to it when it happens during a real sprint.

I really think these race-like trainer rides are really starting to help me out on the mental, as well as physical aspect of the sport.

Well, off to polish my bike...



No comments: