Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Watt saving

Well, I've been away from the computer for a while, but I know my fans want to hear more - so here I sit typing. I've had a couple of races since my last post, and I must say that the training is paying off.

I really believe that my trainer riding has saved me at least 22-26 watts (on average) over a 60-80 minute race. Here is how I figure this out:

People who don't do the sunscreen sweat in the eyes training are forced to remove one hand from the handle bar. Doing so wastes energy that could be used to create downward force on the pedals, thus losing some power. Combine that with the decrease in aerodynamics caused by your 'chicken-wing' hanging out in the wind, and there you have it - 22-26 watts.

Now I don't have a power meter, but I am extremely smart, so this is completely accurate. I would almost go so far as to say it can be considered scientific fact.

Another way I get power saving during a race is to not turn, twist, or otherwise lean to the side when blowing snot from my mouth or nose. How you might ask, well it's because you lose your aerodynamic air flow when you lean your big dome out into the wind.

Instead, I'm like Forrest Gump when he's running across the United States: He states something along these lines "...when I'm tired, I sleep. And when I, you know, I go..." That's what I do. When I need to blow a snot rocket, I just let it rip down the front of me.

Well that is all the power saving hints I'm going to give out today. I'll post more in the future. I'm off to shave the hair out of my nasal cavity to allow for cleaner, smoother, discharge of my snot rockets.

8 comments:

Shaver said...

Outstanding tips. I must try them sometime in the very near future.

Cat3Phenom said...

They are some good one's. There will soon be more.

bikerider061964 said...

Curious, what would you suggest when one has the urge to purge the bowels (aka Boonen syndrome)? Should I unload in my bib shorts or do I drop out and lose valuable upgrade points. And thanks for the snot tip, some of the cat 3 guys I ride with on our tuesday club rides prefer to blow it on me to get me off their wheel. I'll let them know they're wasting valuable wattage by doing so.

Cat3Phenom said...

bikerider061964: Dropping out is never an option. Bowel stains wash out, but upgrade points last forever. Plus, imagine the ego's you'll crush when they find out they were beat by a guy who had crap in his chamois.

As far as the Cat 3 riders blowing snot on you to get you off their wheel I am forced to ask, "what are YOU doing on their wheel in the first place?" Don't tell me you're one of those pansy boys that hides in the pack.

bikerider061964 said...

OK - good perspective on the messy bowel syndrome. I kinda think it might actually be good race stratagy, crapping myself while wearing some cheap white off brand bibs from Performance so the field can see my obvious problem from behind (but they have to be cheap, and WHITE to get the desired result). At least it'll keep em from riding my wheel - it could also work to split the peleton from behind like Moses parting the Red Sea.
Yeah, I know I shouldn't ride a cat3's wheel even if it is only on the club ride - like I said, I don't hold any hard feelings towards him, he's teaching me racing tactics for those Crash 5 races. I wear his snot like a badge of honor on my Performace Century jersey.
Now - can I request some pointers on how, in a Cat5/4 race to take those technical turns when the 10 riders around you drop from 25mph to 10 mph? Talk about a waste of watts trying to start back up.

Cat3Phenom said...

Now - can I request some pointers on how, in a Cat5/4 race to take those technical turns when the 10 riders around you drop from 25mph to 10 mph? Talk about a waste of watts trying to start back up.

bikerider - I would have no idea about this situation because I never allow myself to be anywhere but on the front of the race. When you are on the front, you get the great luxury of picking your own line.

Or even better, hitting your brakes and laughing to yourself about those poor sissies in the pack that are getting yo-yo'd because of you.

Hope this helps.

bikerider061964 said...

okay, point well taken. Truth is I never really entertained the thought of leading out for an entire race (I thought Floyd Landis was the only one who could accomplish such a feat). I can see how it would allieviate the constant stop and go mentality of those pesky cat4/5 racers. Truth be told, some of those guys could use a brake light and directional signals on the backs of their bikes. I mean seriously, braking on a downhill decent of 8%, turning their heads to look behind them as the bike slips out into the pack.
I get the point, leading out is the only way to race (and have fun at the same time). Thanks for making this so painfully simple for me.

bikerider061964 said...

BTW - that John guy and myself are one in the same - I must've been logged in under another name.